"I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst

of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
Adlai E. Stevenson, American statesman (1900-1965).

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sunday self-reflection....

I am taking a much needed break from my usual Sunday evening of laundry and the New York Times crossword puzzle. I have been so busy lately, I haven't had much time to put fingers to keyboard and make real sense of what's been going on in the world and the North Country. I got a little encouragement today, however. Let me share it with you...

Its funny how things happen for a reason....karma, fate...whatever you want to call it, it was in full swing this afternoon. And its funny when you look back on it. So, I lead group of Girl Scouts. We just finished our meeting early, and I took my two girls to the grocery store here in Waddington to pick something up for supper. I spent about a half hour in the store roaming the aisles before deciding on pot pies (haven't had them in years!) all the while yelling at my kids to quit climbing on the cart, quit climbing in the cart, quit acting like animals, quit touching the cart, quit touching the cart or you will go to your room, quit touching the cart or you will go to your room with no supper, and several other variations thereof. After finally getting to the check out the cashier starts whipping off my order (I appreciate her efficiency, but not in this case) before I can watch what she is doing. See, more often than not, I will be over-charged for something. Could be a few cents, could be a few dollars--one time they wanted to charge me over $13 for grapes, when in fact, they were on sale. Anyway, I am sick of being over-charged, so I make sure I check it before I leave the store, because I will never return with my receipt to get a refund. As fate would have it, I was overcharged for two items. As efficient as she was in ringing up my order, the cashier was not so efficient when it came to refunding my money and she needed someone to help her. This is all the while killing time before I get outside. So, as I turn to go out the door, it, for some odd reason, did not occur to me to ask why in the hell Dave Renzi was standing in the entry way of the IGA in Waddington. He said Hello, and I breezed right by with a Hi, over my shoulder. As I hit the parking lot, there is a crowd of people there and I thought there was a car accident, or even a gang war. Well, it could happen in Waddington--you never know these days. Anyway, as I was loading my bags into the trunk of my car, I hear someone calling my name. It was none other than Mr. Russell B. Strait, who you may remember from an earlier post. Of course, his wife, Mrs. Strait was there, too. And as Russell is dragging me over to this group of people, I realize we are headed into the den of Satan himself! The Republican traveling circus!

(OK, OK--I'm kidding, it wasn't that bad--although I did have to use lavish amounts of hand sanitizer when I got home.)

They really had all the big stars out for the show. Let's see, I saw my ex-boyfriend Bobby Cantwell who verbally cheated on me with the entire News10Now viewing audience--what a cad. Now he thinks just because he kissed my hand on bended knee and gave me a hug that we are on good terms again......well, maybe. He did ask, "So are we OK now?" And I did say, "I suppose. But no more of that fire in your belly thing. You can have anything else in your belly, but it better not be a fire." This all while some older woman was standing there listening, and who then remarked, "I guess I should have come over here sooner." lol--maybe that was his mom? Anyway, I was introduced to his wife as "the person who wrote that blog about Bobby", at which point I flatly denied writing any such blog, but did admit I said he was handsome. By the way, Russell, "that blog" reminds me of McCain's "that one" and I'm not sure yet if I appreciate it.

Who else did I see....oh, yeah--Dave Renzi, as I mentioned above. I shook hands with him outside--he has a nice shake, firm grasp, not wimpy at all--I appreciate that. He was nice, and better looking in person than in his ads. He introduced himself, and I was polite and said, "nice to meet you." Then he asked for my vote. . . . . .
.
.
.
I was the epitome of restraint, as I said, "I will consider it."

I felt bombarded and overwhelmed, so I retreated to the trunk of my car where I pulled out one of my Obama/Biden yard signs and started carrying it around like a shield. (The reason it is in my trunk and not in my yard is another post altogether.)

Anyway, I met Nancy Martin, the St. Lawrence County Republican Party Chairperson, who knew who I was, but I did not recognize her. Nancy said she read my blog. I invited her to stop by and post some comments, but she passed, saying stuff like that comes back to bite you in the ass (my paraphrase.) (Nancy has her own post below this one.)

Apparently Janet Kelly was there as well, but after I basically called her an asshole, I had no desire to meet the woman at that moment--my kids were still in the car after all.

Some guy was wandering around taking photos of the whole melee. I made a point of hiding when I knew he was there, but at the last moment, he caught a picture of me & Bobby McGee. I warned him he'd better not use it--Why not, he asked. To which I replied, I'll be ostracized from the Democratic party [dumb ass]. Even worse, I'd be outted to the entire community. No one but Republicans know who I am. Is there something wrong with this picture?

I suppose I can take solace in the wise words of that Italian philosopher Michael Corleone, "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

Later add: I think Patricia Ritchie was there also, and possibly John McHugh.

BTW, Bobby, have you been to the tanning booth lately?

8 comments:

  1. STA,
    I visited Waddington on Saturday and hope that one of the people I met was you. I know and respect your anonimity. I just hope you have had the chance to learn about my vision and ideas for our region. You are the very reason I'm running for this seat - because you realize the great potential we have here and I know you are a proud resident of our beautiful North Country region. I know you'll vote with your heart and hope I've earned your consideration. Please know that I met and talked with many people in Waddington on many occasions over the last five months and believe that I will take their concerns with me to Albany. Thanks and best wishes to you. -Addie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a note to be very careful with the hand santizers. Most of them contain some form of alcohol. There are reported cases of very bad burns to the hands when you light up right after using.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I successfully sniffed all the alcohol residue off before I could ever have blown myself up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last minute ditch effort? I think this is a little to late, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. anon @ 2:09pm...are you referring to the repubs bus trip?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No to Ms. Russell finally responding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, I got ya. Actually, I appreciate her taking the time to come here and make a comment. Mr. Cantwell never did. Although I do suspect it was his wife that questioned my reasons for not voting for him in an earlier post...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I for one am very happy that this election day is finally here. I have had to hold back, biting my tongue since August. Not being able to freely comment on issues that were important to me regarding this Assembly race. I now feel liberated having pulled the lever.

    ReplyDelete



Those who cannot learn from history are condemned to repeat it

~George Santayana

They must have read my mind...

hat tip to abaycircus for finding this gem: