"I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst

of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
Adlai E. Stevenson, American statesman (1900-1965).

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Community service = Slavery?

While perusing www.jeffersondemocrat.org aka Danger Democrat, I came upon a most disturbing comment from one of those "anonymous" posters. It pissed me off so much, that I let my fish overcook in the oven while I hopped on my soapbox. My rebuttal may resemble condescension, but I do not care. I was appalled by what I read. And while it may appear that I like reading my own words, the truth is I simply cannot allow this issue to be lost in the vast ocean of posts and comments on DD.

Here is my reply, which quotes the anonymous that I took issue with (to read the entire post click here):
____________________________________________________________________
OK, now let me get this straight. And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong--as I know you will, but...

anonymous @ 4:31PM quoted the 13th Amendment to the Constitution, ""Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime ... shall exist within the United States," and then proceeded to say, "I guess in Obama's mind it must be a crime to be born or to go to college" and "Obama promised that as president he would "set a goal for all American middle and high school students to perform 50 hours of service a year, and for all college students to perform 100hours of service a year.""

Am I to understand this correctly as you equating community service to slavery?

Is there something wrong with you?

This community service that it appears you so detest is the foundation of every single community in this country. It touches every life, every day either directly or indirectly. From the people who plan your local Memorial Day service, to the people who clean your church, from the mothers and fathers who usher your kids through scouthood, to the people who sign you in to cast your vote on election day--these are all volunteers giving their time, money and resources free of charge for the betterment of our communities and our lives--including yours.

It sounds to me like you are an ungrateful snot who desperately needs to get off their dead ass and go drive some Veterans to their doctor appointments at the VA hospital 3 hours away. Or go deliver some Meals-On-Wheels to your local senior citizens home. While you are there, sit down and have a chat--let them tell you the important part community service has played in their lives. You need an education in compassion and selflessness. Some community service would do you well. The greatest generation that ever lived in this country is getting old. They lived lives full of hard work, determination, and discipline--and thought nothing of helping out if they were needed, anywhere, at any time. Their deeds are almost forgotten in this cyber-human-unfriendly age we live in. Learn from them now before they are not around to remind you.

October 03, 2008 7:05 PM

______________________________________________________________

Is this what we have to look forward to, what our children have to look forward to? A country full of citizens that want payback for every single thing they do? What has created this selfishness?

I learned the value of community service and helping your fellow man from my parents. Not only I did I learn it, I practiced it right alongside them. And though my parents have aged and are no longer able to do the things they used to, I still practice it. And so do my young children. They will learn from a very young age, as I did, what it means to do something for someone without expecting something in return. Today's generation is all about instant gratification and the mindset of "what's in it for me?"

While this is supposed to be a political-ish blog, and my comment was made in reference to a policy offered by a Democrat, my feelings on this have nothing to do with politics and party-affiliation. I would support any candidate on this topic, regardless of what party they belonged to. It just so happens, however, that it is a Democrat offering this idea, and I wholeheartedly support it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey smalltown, if you email grumpyshoneybunch at yahoo, I will get back to you with your question you left on my blog. Probably not appropriate to leave the answer here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HoneyB,

    Thanks for responding. I will email you.

    However, as per the mission statement of this blog, it is just "mostly political in nature" and covers "what-evers" from small town America.

    This would be a whatever.

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let'r rip, STA,

    Sometimes you've got to break it down for them. Sometimes you have to call an idiot an idiot.

    Amazing that the Republicans claim the "Moral" Majority as their own.
    I don't think many of them understand what morality really is. They think it is something their preacher told them Jesus said about gays or fornicatiion or abortion.

    ReplyDelete



Those who cannot learn from history are condemned to repeat it

~George Santayana

They must have read my mind...

hat tip to abaycircus for finding this gem: