"I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst

of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
Adlai E. Stevenson, American statesman (1900-1965).

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Would you make up my mind already?

The Republicans have me going in twenty different directions. I'm not sure anymore if I'm up or down or which way is right or left. Whoa--hold on there--that was a little extreme--I do indeedy know what is right and what is left.

Anyway, according to Republican Vice-Presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin, I am off the hook! I'm in the free and clear. I can be spared from her wrath. I--little old Small Town America--am patriotic and pro-America. Yay me! (I knew that all along!)

However, disturbingly, the Republican Representative Michelle Bachman from Minnesota has me in the anti-America crowd. Because I am a liberal. Because I am a Democrat. Because I "associate with Barack Obama."

Here are the contrasting views:

Palin:
"We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation. This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans."

Bachmann (this is a paraphrase, because, at post time, a transcript is not yet available):
If you are a leftist liberal, you are anti-American. Michelle Obama is an anti-American, because until recently, she wasn't proud of her country. Barack Obama surounds himself with anti-Americans, and therefore is anti-American. Congress is full of anti-Americans. I am anti-American because I support Barack Obama--and heck, the final nail in my unAmerican coffin--I'd pal around with him, too, if I could.

When did it become a Republican talking point that if you question the establishment, you are against it? Why is it so black and white as to be 'with us or against us?" I don't understand the polarity of it. Last time I checked, I had a right, as an American citizen, to question my government.

Article I of the Bill of Rights:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."


The inferences made by both of these women are hurtful and divisive. To suggest that there are pro-American and anti-American areas in the country is just plain stupid (did we really expect anything else?) To suggest that a large majority of the American population is anti-American (because the large majority of America is Democrat) is beyond the pale.

If this is the way our citizens are to be treated, well thanks, but no thanks. I'll take that "Bridge to Nowhere" and make it a Bridge to Canada, which all us foaming-at-the-mouth anti-American liberal lefty Democrats can slither over and get the hell outta Dodge before we get nuked.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Those who cannot learn from history are condemned to repeat it

~George Santayana

They must have read my mind...

hat tip to abaycircus for finding this gem: