"I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst

of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
Adlai E. Stevenson, American statesman (1900-1965).

Friday, October 17, 2008

Cantwell? Well, I can't tell him yes.

Shortly after I started this blog, I wrote a post titled Cantwell? Can't tell.
It was about a chance encounter with 118th District Assembly candidate Bobby Cantwell. While I joked about having to sit across from a Republican at a community dinner and how it made me lose my appetite, I was really impressed with him--but I hadn't decided if I wanted to give up my sacred Lefty vote for him just yet... I had yet to meet his Democrat rival.

In that post, I observed: "He was pleasant, forthcoming, grounded in this area, and sincere—oh, and handsome. He did have a slight aroma of politician—I’ll call it aroma for now, because I don’t know him well enough to determine if it qualifies as stench or not." I was reassured by fellow NNY blogger pguston of abaycircus, "The aroma that you noticed is not stench, he is a natural salesman, able to sell an ice cream sandwich to an eskimo."

I felt somewhat comfortable, then, with my first impression.

Well, the jury's just come in.

Its stench.
And it reeks so bad, I can smell it through my TV set:

I felt mildly violated today as I, during my hectic morning tornado routine, had a fly-by glimpse of him on News10Now. I halted and watched in horror. There he was fresh-faced and smiling after his debate--and reciting the same words he had said to me. "I am a fresh face. I have a fire in my belly. I'm ready to get in there and get to work." I turned off the TV. I felt like I had just been played.

Those words said to me during my conversation with him those many weeks ago, were being broadcast on regional news. How dare he? I felt at ease with him--felt he was genuine, sincere, forthcoming. We talked for a good while that night, and I was appreciative of the fact that he took the time to listen to me, but also to relate his story to me. There were other people there that wanted his attention, but he took the time to talk to me. It wasn't a question and answer session. It was more like two new friends getting to know one another. In retrospect, he spoke with the ease of a politician, craftily weaving his story, in and out with easily veiled talking points. What a fool was I! There's a reason for the saying "never trust a politician who speaks from the heart."

So, Mr. Cantwell, since you have pissed me off, I will now reveal the embarrassing advice I gave you that night. Has anyone recently heard Bobby Cantwell refer to himself as "Bobby Cantwell"?

If the answer is yes, then he is the fool, not me. If the answer is no, then he is wise to have listened.

While shaking his hand, my parting words to Mr. Cantwell that evening were, "And by the way, don't refer to yourself in the third person--especially if you are going to debate that woman. It makes you come off as pompous and self-absorbed."

Here's another bit of advice...
When talking "candidly" to Small Town America in the future, Mr. Cantwell, please preface your remarks with the following disclaimer:

"I'm Bobby Cantwell, and your ears are simply a vessel for my talking points."

7 comments:

  1. So what is the difference between a salesperson and a politician?

    Answer: The product they are selling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, in theory.

    But the politician is selling me something that will affect the way I live my life and the life of my children--not something that will make my toes warm on a cold winter's night.

    If I do not like the toe-warming product, or if it does not perform to my expectations, I can immediately throw it out. What am I out? The price I paid for it.

    If i do not like the politician, or if he/she does not perform to my expectations, I must wait until their term has expired before I can attempt to make any changes. Meanwhile, I am bound by law to do what they have told me to do.

    I feel in this particular case, (and I know you support this fellow, and that's fine, because that's what America is all about, but...) that I was misled in his sincerity and candidness. That is my personal opinion, and we can amicably disagree, because I will not change my mind. Until yesterday, I had planned on giving him my vote.

    That whole "fire in my belly" thing just cracks me up. I thought it was droll and off-the-cuff when he said it during our conversation--I let it pass then and chalked it up to spontaneity. I didn't realize he was feeding me his talking points. That is what I have a problem with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear STA,
    tsk tsk, you have not been following my blog very closely. I was a Bobby supporter in the early part of his campaign. Not hearing a peep from Addie I was willing to support Bobby. But I finally met Addie and we had a chance to chat kinda like you and Bobby did, but with one difference.....Addie did not fool me, She is sincere and genuine....

    ReplyDelete
  4. STA drop me an email....we need to chat about a couple of things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should write this post as a letter to the editor, expose him for what he is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry but you met the man across the table at a random dinner in Waddington and you are upset because he gave you his point of view and you heard his point of view on the news later, and the story was the same. Now you are mad about that? I would be concerned if his story continuously changed with every person he spoke to. Salesmen change their story and cater it to the person they are talking to. It sounds like Mr. Cantwell is consistant with his story.

    Side note - from my experience with Ms. Russell, her story changes constantly to the viewpoints of who she is talking to at that particular time.

    So now that there is less than 2 weeks, is Ms. Russell now showing up in Waddington?

    ReplyDelete
  7. anonymous @ 10:49am:

    I understand your question, and it is one that I asked myself as I was writing the post. But I arrived at my conclusion and I hold firmly to it.

    Other than, "I guess it was a case of having to be there," I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but I will try.

    I feel strongly that if you are talking candidly to someone, out of respect, you do not test out all of your talking points on them--unless you ask and they agree.

    To clarify my meaning here--candidly means impartial, spontaneous, informal, natural, unrehearsed.

    We were in, as you said, a "random" setting, it was not a planned speaking arrangement, nor was it publicized. It was my understanding, and even more, my feeling, that we were having a candid conversation. Mr. Cantwell chose to practice his talking points on me, while I was was open and forthright. I feel it was a "betrayal" of sorts.

    That whole "fire in my belly" thing was the kicker for me. It is very kitschy. I thought it was a spontaneous, off-the-cuff remark. It never occurred to me that it was one of his "lines."

    I asked specifically for his view on some things..."What makes you a Republican?" To which he replied, for example, "fiscal responsibility." That is an acceptable answer--I asked for it. Don't tell me you have a "fire in your belly" and then go blab it on the news.

    And to answer your question, no, I still have not met Addie Russell. I hear she's been in Waddington, but I've never seen her. You will notice that although I may have said Mr. Cantwell does not get my vote, I have not said that I will vote for Ms. Russell. I may just choose to sit this one out.

    ReplyDelete



Those who cannot learn from history are condemned to repeat it

~George Santayana

They must have read my mind...

hat tip to abaycircus for finding this gem: