"I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst

of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
Adlai E. Stevenson, American statesman (1900-1965).

Friday, September 12, 2008

Cantwell? Can't tell.

A welcome break from national politics…
Last night I had the unusual but delightful opportunity to sit across from a political candidate and have him completely at my mercy.

I was attending the 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony in Waddington. The dinner was hosted at the American Legion Champion-Hobkirk Post 420. I was eating, minding my own business, chatting with the person next to me, when in walks Russell B. Strait and his wife, Mrs. Strait. I have known Russell my entire life, so naturally, I mention that I just lost my appetite (he’s Republican.) Russell and his wife, Mrs. Strait, are accompanied by a handsome young man (I call him young, but he is just a bit older than me) who happens to sit, where else?-- right across from me.

A cut to the Reader’s Digest Condensed Version: it turns out the handsome man is none other than Bobby Cantwell, Republican candidate for the 118th Assembly district seat, recently vacated by Darrel Aubertine. Oooooooo……I tell you, I was almost salivating, waiting for my chance to pounce on him. I politely waited “my turn” and then launched my rockets: “Now, what seat are you running for?” “So, what makes you think you are qualified to fill the position?” and “What makes you Republican?” among others.

My observations:
He was pleasant, forthcoming, grounded in this area, and sincere—oh, and handsome. He did have a slight aroma of politician—I’ll call it aroma for now, because I don’t know him well enough to determine if it qualifies as stench or not.

He has experience at the town level. He believes in fiscal responsibility, believes tax and spend are the wrong way to alleviate our current economic cesspool (my word, not his.) He believes less is more when it comes to government. He went into good detail about his life, growing up, some hard times he has been through before getting to this point in his life, and how that affects his outlook on life and policy. We also found we have the same employer. Our bonding was cut short when my 7 year old came in to tell me she stepped in a mud puddle with her new school sneakers.

I believe that, in his heart of hearts, Bobby Cantwell really believes he can make a difference. He moved back to the North Country after having been downstate for several years. But, to me, there is a big difference between growing up in the Clayton/Watertown area and growing up in, say, Louisville or Morley. Nonetheless, he appreciates this area and the potential it has, much as I do, having moved away and returned myself. There is no better place to raise a family.

Mr. Cantwell made a very good point about the Democratic candidate, Addie Russell. Where has she been? Cuz I sure as hell haven’t seen her around here. She wants to debate Mr. Cantwell. Well, of course she does. She is a lawyer; he has a two-year business degree. She can’t pin him down to a series of debates because he is busy meeting people—his prospective constituency. I have never met Addie Russell. I haven’t seen her in Waddington.
What I liked about the whole thing was this: I checked out Bobby Cantwell’s website when I got home. There was no mention of his attending the 9/11 ceremony. He came unannounced, with no fan-fare or publicity.

I tend to be more lenient in regards to party orientation when voting for my local representatives. When it comes to national elections, I vote for my beliefs and who most closely embodies them. In local elections, I vote with my gut. The fact that Addie Russell hasn’t made an effort in my neck of the woods does not sit well with me. There’s 53 days left for her to change my mind.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting observations that you made about Bobby. You and I have the same keen eye for assessing the qualities that make him likeable. The aroma that you noticed is not stench, he is a natural salesman, able to sell an ice cream sandwich to an eskimo. He is selling himself with an unconditional warranty, a no defect guarantee. I am also willing to cross party lines. Come on over for a visit to my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addie has been in Waddington a number of times, and as recently as this past Wednesday. I hear she is going door to door and attending small meet and greets in every town in the district. If you haven't had the chance to meet her, I'm sure she'll be back again and again. You even have an opportunity this weekend if you venture to Alex Bay to a Boat Cruise fundraiser for her on Sunday. Just wanted to make sure the other side of the story is out there and that is that Addie is out on the stump every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addie Jenne Russell is not only all over the district, she's been asking for debates and can't seem to get Mr. Cantwell to commit.

    Once you see the two of them in a forum or debate, your decision on who to support will be easy. Addie is just way more articulate on the many issues facing our area and, beyond being a charismatic, smart woman, she exudes the passion and tenacity to get the job done. I hope you meet her soon so you understand what I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. anonymous said...
    "Addie has been in Waddington a number of times, and as recently as this past Wednesday."

    Thank you for letting me know this. I hadn't heard. Unfortunately, mine was not one of the doors she knocked on. Perhaps next time.

    Another anonymous said...
    "Addie Jenne Russell is not only all over the district, she's been asking for debates and can't seem to get Mr. Cantwell to commit.
    Once you see the two of them in a forum or debate, your decision on who to support will be easy. Addie is just way more articulate on the many issues facing our area and, beyond being a charismatic, smart woman, she exudes the passion and tenacity to get the job done."

    From Mr. Cantwell's mouth himself--he hasn't the time to commit to debates, he is too busy meeting people.

    He has an issue with the fact that he has been in this for months, out and about, meeting people, spreading his message. He feels Ms. Russell is jumping in (ie making an effort) at the 11th hour and now expects things to go her way (my paraphrase--not his words exactly.)

    As for sounding more articulate, most lawyers do sound more articulate than the average Joe, regardless of what they are talking about--that is their profession. I do not mean to diminish Ms. Russell and her accomplishments--just playing the devil's advocate. In my meeting with Mr. Cantwell, I felt that he, as well, exuded the "passion and tenacity to get the job done," as you say.

    At any rate, I am glad to hear that she has been up my way. Maybe one of these times, I can actually lay eyes on her.

    And "thanks, but no thanks" (lol) on that invite to ABay--I shouldn't have to travel to a neighboring county to meet a local representative.

    I appreciate you both taking the time to read my blog and post comments. Please come back again!

    ReplyDelete



Those who cannot learn from history are condemned to repeat it

~George Santayana

They must have read my mind...

hat tip to abaycircus for finding this gem: